A girl's guide to beer, brewing & booze…and other things. Just my views on the world in general. Enjoy the ride!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Brewing Again! October 6,2010

This week, I have the privilege of brewing on the Siebel Institute Pilot System. It currently lives at Metropolitan Brewing – where its great to be a volunteer! I’m a little nervous - I’ve not brewed on an automated system like this before – but also WAY excited. In homage to my surroundings, I decided that a German style was a must. I spent some time researching various styles, and decided on a Sticke Alt (Secret Alt). If you follow the BJCP, its classified as a Dusseldorf Altbier (7c – Amber Hybrid Beer, or in Category 23, Specialty Beers.) It is noted in the guidelines that the Sticke Alt is slightly stronger, darker, richer and more complex, which are all things I love in a beer.

I researched recipes for classic alts, as well as the elusive Sticke Alt, and went to work crafting a recipe to call my own. After consulting with Doug at Metro, I made a few small tweaks to adjust for available ingredients – and improve th e overall body of the beer.

We ventured out to St. Charles last weekend, to visit The Hombrew Shop, ltd. Picked up some hops and black patent, which weren’t available at the brewery.

I’ve sanitized my fermenters, airlocks, and everything else I can think of – and Friday is the big day.

Can’t wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment